Dr. Timo Baumann, Diplom-Informatiker
I research spoken language, in particular in interactive and multi-modal scenarios, such as in spoken dialogue systems. My particular interests lie in responsiveness in interaction and I have been one of the main drivers of incremental spoken dialogue systems. Beyond that, I create and use corpora of spoken language, such as the Spoken Wikipedia Corpus. Feel free to have a look at my recent projects.
- 2021-04: congrats Aditya and Debjoy for securing DAAD-WISE funding! We'll be working, together with returning intern Shravan and students from UHH, on TTS for automated dubbing this summer!
- 2021-03: The book stemming from the Speech quality special session at Interspeech 2017 is finally available. → Baumann (2021)
- 2021-02: Our SMOOTH submission to HRI's late-breaking reports was accepted ... and got nominated for the award. Yay! → Fischer et al. (2021)
- 2021-01: Volkswagenstiftung continues to fund our Rhythmicalizer project. Yay!
- 2020-12: our paper on subtitling for lecture2go has been accepted for ESSV. Congrats, Benjamin, Robert and Irina! → Milde et al. (2021)
- 2020-11: Our COLING submission on MT in on/off-screen dubbing has been accepted. Great work, Alina, Shravan, and Supratik! → Karakanta et al. (2020)
- older news
- 2020-10: I've been appointed acting professor for machine learning for the winter term (and probably longer). Thanks for trusting in me, @fbihh!
- 2020-09: congrats to our summer interns, who've got their first paper accepted at the Deep Video Understanding workshop, great work! → Nayak et al. (2020), Video available!
- 2020-08: thanks for electing me as member (starting in fall) of the UHH informatics department's faculty council
- 2020-07: we've got funding to add automatic subtitling to Lecture2Go; Benjamin and two students will be working on improving students' ability to use and search lecture videos during #corona.
- 2020-06: our GermEval Shared Task on inferring Cognitive and Motivational style from text was a huge success. Thanks to Dirk and all participants! → Johannßen et al. (2020)
- 2020-06: find Ingo's and my contribution on prosodic differences in how you address your smart speaker at Mensch und Computer!
- 2020-05: welcome Shravan and Supratik, the two interns working on automated dubbing and video analysis this summer.
- 2020-03: both our/my Speech Prosody submissions made it. Hope to see you for the conference!
- even older news
To reach me, try:
- mail: baumannÄŦinformatik.uni-hamburg.de
- skype: timobaumann
- tel: +49 40 42883 2321
- snail mail:
Universität Hamburg, FB Informatik Dr. Timo Baumann Vogt-Kölln-Straße 30 22527 Hamburg
- office: F-404, Campus Stellingen, Universität Hamburg
- consultation hours: please make an appointment by e-mail (see above)
I do speech science and technology consulting. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com .
Systems Scientist at the Language Technologies Institute, Carnegie Mellon University; researcher and instructor in speech processing at Universität Hamburg; research assistant at Bielefeld and Potsdam Universities before that. Various short-term appointments and free-lancing work with industry partners.